[ltp] R32 can't install linux from CD

david linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:12:21 +1000

I can't install any flavour of linux from CD on this R32 bought from IBM
refurbished.

I have repartitioned, installed WinXP successfully then attempted to
install Linux, but installation of Linux fails. I've tried Ubuntu, Suse
9.1 and DSL.

I can do a netinstall using a CD for the initial boot!

Netinstall of Ubuntu was completely successful (including USB), except
for the DVD-ROM drive. CD's don't automount. If I mount them manually I
can list the directories, but  any attempt to use the CD locks up that
process, and I can't unmount the CD without rebooting, even if I kill
the process.

I've tried various BIOS setting, none of which make any difference at
all, so I've reset to factory default. The BIOS was upgraded before I
started.

R32 P4-M/1800 256MB 28GB DVD 14" Wireless - IBM1540

The DVD drive is a GDR8081N

I would blame something hardware, except that WinXP works perfectly :(

The other odd thing is that GRUB takes ages to initialise > 30seconds

If anyone can give me pointer I would be eternally grateful.

Regards,

David.