[ltp] R51 LCD or Motherboard Hardware issue

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Apr 2006 00:02:27 -0400

Luis Arauz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   Ive got a Thinkpad R51. The problem is, if i push down on the left
> side of the palm rest, while on
> a soft
> surface (ie lap, some uneven table) or picking it up and twisting a bit (left side down and
>
> right side up) the screen goes black and all harddrive activity stops.
> I have to twist it back in the
> opposite direction for it to come back. Sometimes though it will mess
> up the screen and
> lock the system.
>
> I took apart the laptop and looked at the lcd connector and pushed it
> in secure and
> tightened all the screws that were loose on the board .  it stopped
> for a while but now it
> is back.
>
> im considering taking apart the whole system and rebuilding it from
> the ground up and making sure
> everything is secure ( I have all the service manuals), but i wanted
> to know if anyone had any ideas
> as to what it might be, how to resolve it, or any other useful tips to
> resolve this problem.
>
> thanks in advance
> Luis

Sorry if (if?) this is bad news, but I have replaced motherboards on
several A series which were doing the same thing.
The new MBs completely solved the problem.

Point to ponder:
"Thin is in" should not apply to laptops.
As the base unit gets thiner it is less able to resist the twisting of
the case and sooner or later
internal connections on the motherboard will break
I make it a habit to never pick up a laptop with one hand and even then
I grab it close to the
back near the hinges or in the middle ( on both sides ) if the battery
is in place.
The less flexing the better.