[ltp] R51 LCD or Motherboard Hardware issue

UncleDuke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:31:45 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0134_01C65CE6.2A7AC440

Bad news.. Sounds like the system planar is cracked someplace. If under
warranty have them fix it. If not a new planar is gonna set you back about
$400 for a refurb(though you might get lucky on eBay).I've seen this problem
on the T2x series, and on couple A3x's.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org]On Behalf Of Luis Arauz
  Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:54 PM
  To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
  Subject: [ltp] R51 LCD or Motherboard Hardware issue

  Hi All,

    Ive got a Thinkpad R51. The problem is, if i push down on the left side
of the palm rest, while on
  a soft surface (ie lap, some uneven table) or picking it up and twisting a
bit (left side down and
  right side up) the screen goes black and all harddrive activity stops. I
have to twist it back in the
  opposite direction for it to come back. Sometimes though it will mess up
the screen and
  lock the system.

  I took apart the laptop and looked at the lcd connector and pushed it in
secure and
  tightened all the screws that were loose on the board .  it stopped for a
while but now it
  is back.

  im considering taking apart the whole system and rebuilding it from the
ground up and making sure
  everything is secure ( I have all the service manuals), but i wanted to
know if anyone had any ideas
  as to what it might be, how to resolve it, or any other useful tips to
resolve this problem.

  thanks in advance
  Luis

------=_NextPart_000_0134_01C65CE6.2A7AC440

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.5335.5" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D875082701-11042006><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Bad=20
news.. Sounds like the system planar is cracked someplace. If under =
warranty=20
have them fix it. If not a new planar is gonna set you back about $400 =
for a=20
refurb(though you might get lucky on eBay).I've seen this problem on the =
T2x=20
series, and on&nbsp;couple A3x's. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org=20
  [mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org]<B>On Behalf Of =
</B>Luis=20
  Arauz<BR><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:54 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> [ltp] R51 LCD or=20
  Motherboard Hardware issue<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><BR><BR>Hi=20
  All,<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;Ive got a Thinkpad =
R51.&nbsp;The&nbsp;problem&nbsp;is,=20
  if i push down on the left side of the palm rest, while on <BR>a soft=20
  =
surface&nbsp;(ie&nbsp;lap,&nbsp;some&nbsp;uneven&nbsp;table)&nbsp;or&nbsp=
;picking&nbsp;it&nbsp;up&nbsp;and&nbsp;twisting&nbsp;a&nbsp;bit&nbsp;(lef=
t&nbsp;side&nbsp;down&nbsp;and&nbsp;=20
  <BR>right&nbsp;side&nbsp;up)&nbsp;the&nbsp;screen&nbsp;goes black and =
all=20
  harddrive activity stops. I have to twist it back in the <BR>opposite=20
  direction for it to come back. Sometimes though it will mess up the =
screen and=20
  <BR>lock the system.<BR><BR>I&nbsp;took apart the laptop and looked at =
the lcd=20
  connector and pushed it in secure and <BR>tightened all the screws =
that were=20
  loose on the board . &nbsp;it stopped for a while but now it<BR>is =
back.=20
  <BR><BR>im considering taking apart the whole system and rebuilding it =
from=20
  the ground up and making sure <BR>everything is secure ( I have all =
the=20
  service manuals), but i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas <BR>as =
to what=20
  it might be, how to resolve it, or any other useful tips to resolve =
this=20
  problem.<BR><BR>thanks in advance =
<BR>Luis<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0134_01C65CE6.2A7AC440--