[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:51:19 +0200

honey wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Leon Brokken wrote:
>
> Ah!  Thanks, I see now where the critical temperature for shutdown is
> set.  The question remaining for me, who has the same problem as you
> Leon is: do you really believe your CPU's temperature is hitting 93?
> Because with my T40, this shutdown prevents me perform any DVD ripping
> just as for you, and in the case of a long CPU-intensive compilation,
> has me watching temperature like a hawk and ^Z'ing when it gets too hot.
>
> I used to get round the problem by hacking the fan control scripts to
> allow my fan to go into "disengaged" (crazy!) mode when the temperature
> got beyond 70 degrees, but was advised here that might be bad for the
> fan.  Although I may try that again...

There is an easy solution to your problems: make sure that the cpu
frequency is reduced when it gets too hot.

I am using cpuspeed as a frequency demon that allows to pass it a file
name where to find the cpu temperature and a limit. It will put the cpu
to lower frequency if above the limit.

Recently, I saw that cpufreqd has a similar feature, at least its in the
config file. Temperature limitation is something that obviously the
kernel on-demand governor does not support, does ist?

Hope this helps
Ulrich