[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:10:10 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Shem Multinymous wrote:

>> Ah!  Thanks, I see now where the critical temperature for shutdown is
>> set.  The question remaining for me, who has the same problem as you
>> Leon is: do you really believe your CPU's temperature is hitting 93?
>> Because with my T40, this shutdown prevents me perform any DVD ripping
>> just as for you, and in the case of a long CPU-intensive compilation,
>> has me watching temperature like a hawk and ^Z'ing when it gets too hot.
>
> Did you try undervolting
> (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking)?

Hi Shem,

No, to be honest, I didn't.  It seemed a bit much to have to patch my
kernel to make my thinkpad operate at sub-optimal speeds in order just
to stop it overheating.  It just seemed to me on a cursory reading that
this was a bit of work that I shouldn't HAVE to do, in order for my
thinkpad just not to overheat in relatively normal operation.  I got in a
mood with IBM and obstinately refused to break my thinkpad's performance
just to stop it melting :)

Besides, thought I, *some* other T-series owners don't have this
problem, so it must be a manufacturing issue... so why should I cripple
my thinkpad?

Honey