[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:19:12 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, U Kuehn wrote:

> There is an easy solution to your problems: make sure that the cpu
> frequency is reduced when it gets too hot.
>
> I am using cpuspeed as a frequency demon that allows to pass it a file
> name where to find the cpu temperature and a limit. It will put the cpu
> to lower frequency if above the limit.
>
> Recently, I saw that cpufreqd has a similar feature, at least its in the
> config file. Temperature limitation is something that obviously the
> kernel on-demand governor does not support, does ist?

Hi Ulrich,

I didn't know cpuspeed could limit speed by temperature, thanks: my
distro comes with no manpage for it, but cpuspeed --help tells me now.
But it doesn't look very fine-grained.  Am I right in thinking if
I use this, when the CPU temperature hits the maximum I specify,
it'll cut the speed down to minimum immediately?

I assume you'd use it something like:

cpuspeed <other options> -t /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature 70

?  The problem I've had with all such userspace and kernel speed
governors in the past is that they just don't seem to bring down the
temperature quickly enough in meltdown.  But I'll certainly give it a
try.

To be honest, the best method I used which worked unfailingly was
to blast the fan for a few seconds into disengaged mode via a script
when the temperature went over 70.  This never failed, but I'm scared
to break the fan now, if it's *bad* for it.  And the more sophisticated
scripts like the one on the ThinkWiki I now use are too clever for me to
be sure I could modify them correctly for this.

It just galls me a bit that I should have to do any of this, and if it
was Windows, I'd be baying at IBM's door about the problem.

Honey