[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

Damien Challet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:23:25 +0100

> No, to be honest, I didn't.  It seemed a bit much to have to patch my
> kernel to make my thinkpad operate at sub-optimal speeds in order just
> to stop it overheating.  It just seemed to me on a cursory reading that
> this was a bit of work that I shouldn't HAVE to do, in order for my
> thinkpad just not to overheat in relatively normal operation.  I got in a
> mood with IBM and obstinately refused to break my thinkpad's performance
> just to stop it melting :)

so your two options are either fixing the hardware, or undervolting.=20

Undervolting works _very_ well. If it fails to solve your problem, then fix=
=20
the hardware.

In an other thread, I have asked how to recompile only speedstep-centrino.o=
=20
once arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.c is patched, so as to=
=20
avoid to recompile a kernel.

Marcus Obst proposes the following (I have not tested this yet):

    $ cd /usr/src/linux
=A0 =A0 $ make clean
=A0 =A0 $ cp ... .config =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0# copy your current config
=A0 =A0 $ make menuconfig
=A0 =A0 $ cd arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
=A0 =A0 $ make -C /usr/src/linux M=3D$(pwd)

and then of course copy the resulting module to /lib/modules/........

I hope it helps.

Damien