[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:23:39 +0300

On 4/11/06, honey <gneeki@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> > Did you try undervolting
> > (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking)?
>
> No, to be honest, I didn't.  It seemed a bit much to have to patch my
> kernel to make my thinkpad operate at sub-optimal speeds in order just
> to stop it overheating.

Under*volting*, not under*clocking* - reducing the CPU voltage at
given frequencies. That way you get less fan noise, less power draw
(i.e., longer battery life) and no loss in performance. The question
is whether the CPU remains reliable, and this varies greatly so the
only way to know is to try.

But yes, it's a fairly annoying and lengthy procedure.

  Shem