[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

Leon Brokken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:09:36 +0200

honey wrote:
> The question remaining for me, who has the same problem as you
> Leon is: do you really believe your CPU's temperature is hitting 93?
> Because with my T40, this shutdown prevents me perform any DVD ripping
> just as for you, and in the case of a long CPU-intensive compilation,
> has me watching temperature like a hawk and ^Z'ing when it gets too hot.
I don't know for sure, as last night 77C was the highest during ripping.
Will keep a closer look next time, and see if I can heat it up a bit to
hit the 93 again... (if I have the courage). But it seems likely after
reading about your similar experience. Reason that I haven't notice this
before might be some built up of dust in the meantime.

I also thought of using the disengaged mode for the fan. But I take it
that this reduces the life span of the fan? I might give undervolting a try.

Cheers, Leon.