[ltp] Help with Helvetica (wonderful in GTK1; gruesome in GTK2)

Eric Covener linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:28:40 -0400

On 4/12/06, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Michele, Eric and Hannes,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.  It seems as though KDE works
> correctly, as does GTK1, but not GTK2. (Gnumeric has the same prob as
> firefox). It's rather odd though, since I can't localise the problem.

gnome-settings-daemon can use some magic voodoo (read: not understood
by me) to "override" your font settings and complicate things during
testing.

During your testing, make note of whether it's running.  Launching
somethng like gnome-font-properties from within KDE will get you a
running copy of gnome-settings-daemon.

You can try launchng your GTK2 app with XFT_DEBUG=3D65535 in the
environment and check stderr to see what fonts are requested and what
transformations occur.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com