[ltp] just a small OT

Pino Giaquinto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:29:50 +0200

> How could it be perfect, if it has Windows on it?

OK! It isn't perfect... I love linux and I wish to install just it on my
notebook but I'm terrorized reading some web pages on linux installation on
ThinkPad T43p.
Someone say that I cannot write on MBR... other say that I MUST have XP on
the notebook and I MUST use dual boot... someone say that I can lost the
'Access IBM' button functionality....
Besides, from thinkwiki pages: <Tinkering with the default MBR and the
Rescue & Recovery partition puts risk to your system. It can result in
rendering the system completely unusable and severe data loss. You follow
any instructions described here on your own risk>.
I wish to delete XP and to install just Linux... I don't need Access IBM
button functionality at the boot time because it install the german XP
version (I'm italian!)... I wish to know if I can disable the recovery
functionality, if I can (must?) delete the hidden partition without problem,
(can I afterwards re-install XP, IF I NEED IT, using a standard italian XP
cd-rom?), if I can install Fedora 5 writing on MBR... etc...
ThinkPad T43p is a very expensive computer... I wait a VERY VERY LONG time
to buy it and I cannot buy another T43p if I destroy it :-(
Please help me!