[ltp] just a small OT

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:44:23 +0100

Pino Giaquinto wrote:

>> How could it be perfect, if it has Windows on it?
>>
> OK! It isn't perfect... I love linux and I wish to install just it on
> my notebook but I'm terrorized reading some web pages on linux
> installation on ThinkPad T43p.
> Someone say that I cannot write on MBR... other say that I MUST have
> XP on the notebook and I MUST use dual boot... someone say that I can
> lost the 'Access IBM' button functionality....
> Besides, from thinkwiki pages: <Tinkering with the default MBR and the
> Rescue & Recovery partition puts risk to your system. It can result in
> rendering the system completely unusable and severe data loss. You
> follow any instructions described here on your own risk>.
> I wish to delete XP and to install just Linux... I don't need Access
> IBM button functionality at the boot time because it install the
> german XP version (I'm italian!)... I wish to know if I can disable
> the recovery functionality, if I can (must?) delete the hidden
> partition without problem, (can I afterwards re-install XP, IF I NEED
> IT, using a standard italian XP cd-rom?), if I can install Fedora 5
> writing on MBR... etc...
> ThinkPad T43p is a very expensive computer... I wait a VERY VERY LONG
> time to buy it and I cannot buy another T43p if I destroy it :-(
> Please help me!

Hi Pino,
 I understand just how you feel. I too have a top end thinkpad tho older
than yours.
 If I were you Id buy or borrow another hard drive,
change it over and experiment on the replacement one. this way you will
not risk
what you alreadyhave.
A 20 gig or even a 10 gig is plenty big enough  to run all the trials
you need.
 Id also suggest the following,
 Put xp on it first, then install the version of linux you like,
andsetup dual boot.
 Its really is useful to have both operating systems.
 on mine I have W 98 se so I can play DVD' movies.Difficult to set up on
Linux. in comparison.
Id suggest Slackware10 as it will find all the hardware and go on the
net without any problems.
If you try Knoppix it will work well but wont give the full screen
resolution your thinkpad has.
Then when your satisfied with your setup use it for a while , then
decide wether you want to dump your existing original software and have
a fresh
install  on the original
hard drive.
 A thinpad is not just for xmas!