[ltp] just a small OT

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:37:18 +1200

On Sunday 16 April 2006 19:53, Pino Giaquinto wrote:
> > Ted Frater's idea of buying another hard drive to run Linux is a good
> > one. That way is _completely_safe.
>
> I think this is the best idea... but on
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_diskswhere
> I read:
>
> When replacing the system disk with one that is not a ThinkPad option
> designed for the specific model, the BIOS will display an "Error 2010"
> warning during every boot. The system may still boot successfully, but
> may be unreliable or slow.
>
> Affected Models
>   ThinkPad T43, T43p
>   ThinkPad R52
>   ThinkPad X41, X41 Tablet
>
> Drives that work out the box
>   Seagate ST9120821A (120GB 5400RPM)
>   Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST980825A (80GB 7200RPM) on T43 with BIOS 1.23
>   Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A (100GB 7200RPM)
>   Fujitsu MHV2100AH (100GB 5400RPM) on T43 with BIOS 1.23
>
> ATTENTION: Even drives with identical part numbers may carry firmware
> with different compatibility status, so do not blindly rely on this
> list.
>
> Unfortunately I have just a TOSHIBA 40 GB (very good size for Linux!)
> and it seems incompatible with my T43p :-(
Does it work after the message?

> I will call my hardware supplier as soon as possible to by a new HD, but
> there are just other 2 questions:

> 1) Must I disable something in BIOS setup before the intallation of the
> new HD to prevent the creation of a new IBM hidden partition?
I'd disable the 'protect the recovery partition' option, so you can write
to all the disk.

> 2) The best choice can be: "Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A"... I hope
> that this HD have the right firmware and works on my T43p (it costs >200
> euro on http://shopping.lycos.it and if I call IBM, this HD will costs
> more money... sure!!!)...
OUCH!!!

> some suggestions for me?
Get the Windows re-install CDs, a dose of fortitude, and set up dual
booting. After all you say you don't need Windows so it doesn't really
matter if you destroy it.

> Thank you very much for your help
No problem.
You might find this very long thread useful:-
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=11059&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
The last pages ( 9 & 10 ) are current.

The other idea I have is for you to find your nearest Linux Users' Group
and see if anybody there can help you. Here's the list for Italy.

http://lugww.counter.li.org/groups.cms?&cc=IT

--
CS