[ltp] ibm_acpi and Bluetooth

Matthias Redlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:49:04 +0200

Hello,

I have compiled a new kernel version 2.6.16.5 on my IBM Thinkpad R52 and
now I am experiencing some problems with ibm_acpi.

When ibm_acpi and the Bluetooth drivers are configured as modules
pressing Fn+F5 does not lead to USB disconnect/connect events after a
reboot so my Bluetooth device is not discovered anymore. I have to
remove the ibm_acpi module from the kernel and modprobe it again to make
everything work. Other functions of ibm_acpi do not seem to be affected
since changing the brightness or switching the ThinkLight on and off
works. Loading the module with "experimental=1 hotkey=enable,0xffff"
does not help either.

When ibm_acpi is compiled into the kernel (not as module) Bluetooth is
completely lost and cannot be restored since I cannot reload a module.

Honestly I have not investigated the problem in detail yet but I suppose
that it has something to do with the order the modules/drivers are
loaded by the kernel. I think the problem is that the ibm_acpi module is
loaded before the usb modules by default and therefore the USB events do
not work but I am not sure. Any help would really be appreciated!

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Matthias