[ltp] IDE hotswapping

Justus Piater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:18:10 +0200

Hello from a non-Thinkpad user. I think there are competent people on
this list who may be able to help me:

I have Fujitsu S7020. It has a SATA hard disk and a removable IDE
optical drive. Since the latter is the only IDE device, Linux
registers it as /dev/hda.

Tim Stadelmann's hotswap utility (you call it "Debian hotswap" on
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay) does not work for me. It
assumes that /dev/hda is always present, and issues HDIO_SCAN_HWIF and
HDIO_UNREGISTER_HWIF ioctl's on it to register/unregister the device,
both of which fail on my machine (which may be due to the fact that
/dev/hda is the only IDE device here).

In any case, your Wiki says that lt_hotswap is the preferred method
for 2.6 kernels since it leaves DMA intact.

Here's my question for you: Will lt_hotswap help me out?

In its current form it won't since it's hard-coded for IDE1, whereas
my removable drive is on IDE0, but it may be worth hacking it. Jim,
Tim, what do you think?

Thanks,
Justus

--=20
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279
Universit=C3=A9 de Li=C3=A8ge, Belgium    Fax:   +32-4-366-2620