[ltp] network problems on T60

Thomas Finneid linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:03:52 +0200

Hi

I am having a problem with my brand new laptop (thinkpad T60) where the
network adapter is on a pci-express slot, and I cant get a the network
to work. I have spent 2 days investigating it. Comparing configurations,
searching the net, updating the kernel etc. and it wont go further than
"eth0 not available, delaying initialisation" (I tried eth1 aswell in
case the wireless was on eth0).

As stated the network controller is a pci-express version, and the
system cant find it. The controller is a Intel 82573L Gigabit controller
and is supported by the e1000 driver. The driver loads, there is nothing
in /var/log/messages, but for some reason the system cant find the
device afterwards and prints the "delaying initialisation" message.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this does not work? What
puzzles me is that the driver loads but the device is not made available
and there is no error message.

Mandriva 2006.0,
kernel: 2.6.12-12mdksmp, 2.6.12-18mdksmp, 2.6.14-2mdksmp

Regards

Thomas