[ltp] (no subject)

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:00:46 +0200

Hello,

>> The first (and unsolvable) one is the CeleronM. It creates far more
>> heat while idleing and triggers the fan a lot. Use a PentiumM.
> 1) No. The Pentium M in my R51 does the same thing.
> 2) D'you really think someone would go buy another  machine just because
> you said that? =)

I said: it's one of the possible causes. Search for posts from Dan
Jacobson (He actuely has a celeronM based R51) on this list or just read
the white papers from intel on PentiumM/CeleronM. The R51 is not the only
notebook showing that behavior.

>> Apart from the frequency all CPUs can enter sleep-stats (called C1,
>> C2,...C8, C1 = almost no power saving, C8 = a lot of power saving) to
>> save power. If you enable/load the Xserver extentsion GLX the CPU can
>> no longer enter stats below C1. So far i don't know why. With all after
>> drivers loaded it reaches C3. With a bit hacking you can get C4 (IMHO
>> not worth it).
> On mine with GLX on and off I get the same results.

(From reading the list): Your's running with GLX but w/o DRI/DRM. Running
GLX in software mode is like running any other piece of software deamon.
It will not affect the CPU if not in use.

>> Next problem is the WLAN-card. In default configuration it get's hot
>> quite fast. If you enable "Power Management" (see iwconfig) it consumes
>> a lot less energy.
> Huh? The WLAN card triggering the fan?! My touchpad doesn't feel hot
> (and it's directly under the touchpad).

It consumes about 2-3 watt more w/o powermanagment and was the last thing
that triggered the fan on mine. It took about 1-1.5 hour to heat up and 15
min of low-speed fan to cool down again. With powermanagment the fan stay
off for 2-3 hours, depending surface.

>> If you want more: undervolt the cpu.
> Ew! I'd rather run Windows than risk my hardware. And I don't like
> Windows much.

I said _under_volt, not overclock or overvolt. With undervolting you risk
some very interessting crashes and "nice" colors even on console. It gives
me 30-45 min runtime, so i guess it reduces the heat generated by the CPU.
I cannot verify it's effect on the fan as mine isn't spinning anyway...

cu