[ltp] IBM R51: The always on fan problem

L. Mark Stone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:42:08 -0400

On Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:18, Robert Thau wrote:
> Pasquale Imbemba writes:
>  > Hi Joerg,
>  >
>  > my first distro was SuSE 7.3. It was simply horrible, because full of
>  > bugs. But I know SuSE's "normal" reputation and would be willing to use
>  > the open SuSE distro.
>  > Currently they're on ver. 10.0. Do you have any knowledge here for the
>  > fan matter?
>
> I'm typing this on an R51 running SuSE v10.0 --- the only problem
> I've got is occasional crashes while trying to suspend to disk.
> The fan is not running.

Running SuSE 10.0 on an R52 1859-BAU (Intel 915GM chipset) just fine.

Almost all of the time the fan runs so slowly I can only hear it if I put my
head very close to the left side of the unit, and I use this machine as my
all-day desktop unit, for about four months now.

FWIW, SuSE 10.0 installed flawlessly out of the box.  The only tweak I needed
to do was to get the video to work at the native 1400x1050, instead of the
SuSE-selected 1280x1024.  I wrote up a HOWTO, but this only applies to the
Intel chipsets, not the ATIs.  (I picked an Intel model specifically for the
Linux driver support.)  See http://pinot.rnome.com/LCD.pdf.

A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business"

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com

This email was sent from Reliable Networks of Maine LLC.
It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please
delete it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.