[ltp] Radeon/ATI driver fixed in Debian/Sid

Hamish Marson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:33:16 +0100

Hamish Marson wrote:

> Carlos Moffat wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 16:56 +0100, Hamish Marson wrote:
>

>> Carlos Moffat wrote:
>
>>> Hi Everybody,
>
>>> In case you're interested, a new version of the ATI driver was
>>> uploaded to Debian last night. The new version fixes (at least
>>> in my t42p) the freeze with Xorg 6.9/7 that had forced me to
>>> stay with 6.8.2 or the fglrx driver.
>
>> Well, I just updated & managed to startx & then startup
>> thunderbird without crashing (Usually it locked up about the time
>> the first xterm started after KDE came up).
>
>> Looks a lot beter so far. Now to try & get DRI working... Hmmm...
>> Did the r300 stuff get included? (Not that I've looked yet).Hope
>> so, it works fine on my gentoo box with a saphire card.
>

>>> Well, DRI is not enabled:
>
>>> (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled (II) RADEON(0):
>>> Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
>>> (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
>

>>> Is this what you mean?
>

> Yes, that's what I mean, except that DRI is disabled on your system
> for some other reason... Maybe the dri module isn't being loaded
> in your xorg.conf file.
>
> On mine I get as far as
>
> [

[deleted]

and hey presto. Up comes DRI... With the correct libGL of course
(After removing the spare one I had in /usr/local/lib for some reason :)

Looks like radeon DRI is in there all right. Now to see how stable it
is on a laptop with suspend to ram etc. I haven't tried it for ages
(Since 6.something when the r300 project got it first working really).