[ltp] Silly question - no heatsink in R52

Rainarrow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:38:03 +0800

------=_Part_5778_24010849.1146382683627

Hi,

Are you sure the chip you've seen is really the cpu? I suspect it's actuall=
the 82855 chipset, which is bare, without cover of the heatsink.
The CPU should be located just under that copper heatsink.

On 4/30/06, Torsten Wolf <t.wolf@tu-bs.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> not a linux specific question and perhaps somewhat silly: I just removed
> the keyboard of my R52 to look how dusty the interior might be. What I
> noticed first was, that the surface of the cpu was clean. Then I
> realised that I actually could see the cpu and asked myself if there
> should be a heatsink. The only cooling specific stuff I saw was some
> copper device (heatpipe?) with the fan to the left. With respect to the
> cpu  temperature which varies between 52-55degC (idle, yet fan starts at
> 55) and 80degC (busy at 2GHz) everything seems to run fine. Nevertheless
> I wonder, if there should be a heatsink. Do you have one above your
> cpus?
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten
> --

------=_Part_5778_24010849.1146382683627

tually the 82855 chipset, which is bare, without cover of the heatsink.</di=
v>
div>
Torsten Wolf</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:t.wolf@tu-bs.de">t.wolf@tu-bs.de</a>=
&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Hi,<br><br>not a linux specific =
question and perhaps somewhat silly: I just removed<br>the keyboard of my R=
52 to look how dusty the interior might be. What I
lised that I actually could see the cpu and asked myself if there<br>should=
 be a heatsink. The only cooling specific stuff I saw was some<br>copper de=
vice (heatpipe?) with the fan to the left. With respect to the
n starts at<br>55) and 80degC (busy at 2GHz) everything seems to run fine. =
Nevertheless<br>I wonder, if there should be a heatsink. Do you have one ab=
ove your
t home page is at:<br><a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/=