OT: Customizing other people (Was Re: [ltp] email etiquette (was A21p problems))

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:14:16 -0400

Perhaps your software is too old. It sounds like you need to install a
copy of Thunderbird with the QuoteCollapse extension, which installs a
bit of chrome magic that automatically turns each chunk of
original-message text into a collapsible display element, displaying
only the first line with a standard [+] expansion box to reveal the rest.

It's even endlessly user-customizable (yay chrome), so you can (for
example -- the config I settled on) opt to have quoted-text displayed in
full (expanded) by default for the first level, and then levels 2 thru N
initially displayed as a [+]-box-expandable single line.

Coupled with the QuoteColors extension (individually color-codes each
level of quoted text), I can use Thunderbird to reconfigure other people
without their knowledge, which is way easier than getting them to
change. :)  (See also: the futility of trying to quash "me too" replies
by force of argument. The delete key is so easy to press...) And now
that I don't actually have to LOOK at the quoted text, I have to admit I
kinda like having it right there in the message, should I need to refer
back.

....I feel sorta dirty saying that, I used to work for one of the
backbone networks. "Hello, my name is FeRD, and I'm a closet bandwidth
hog! It's been 24 minutes since my last bloated packet."

-FeRD

P.S> I just like to evangelize good extensions when I find them. There
are so few, especially for Thunderbird -- tho the S:N ratio is
admittedly *much* higher than for the browsers.