Hdapsd lockup (WAS Re: [ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?)

Armin Hornung linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:11:51 +0200

Hi everyone!

I wanted to adress this issue long ago, but that recent mail did the impact:

On 7/31/06, Andrew Haninger wrote:

> >From your other post
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-thinkpad&m=115236504228071&w=2>
> you gave the drive's firmware as MBZOA60A. According to
> <http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_APS_harddisk_parking>, the
> last four characters determine the firmware revision. According to the
> table at the bottom of the page, A60A supports head parking.
>
> And considering that my Thinkpad is over a year old now, I'd really
> have a hard time believing that Hitachi would make drives now that
> don't support features that my drive had back then (and earlier).
>
> At least, I'd think that the drive/firmware revision isn't supported
> by HDAPS *yet* and that eventually, they will (e.g. no firmware
> upgrades should be needed).

I also have a A60A version HD from Hitachi, and hdapsd locks up the
whole system from time to time, when active. Otherwise, hdaps itself
(without Head Parking) works without problems, I am using a Kernel
2.6.17.4 on Suse 10.1 with the patches for hdaps and tp_smapi for it.
(But the problem also occured before, with 2.6.16.23).
The drive is in a TP43 2668-F7G, and is the original one that shipped
with it. There was no FW-Upgrade for it available, it seems to be the
most recent Firmware.

The last Kernel-messages are:

Jul  8 16:25:09 tp43 kernel: ata_scsi_issue_protect_fn(): unload support reported by drive..
Jul  8 16:25:09 tp43 kernel: scsi_protect_queue(): head parked..
Jul  8 16:25:10 tp43 kernel: scsi_unprotect_queue(): No pending I/O, re-enabling power management..

What can I do to get a working hdapsd? Is there a chance for it, with my drive?

Thanks in advance,

Armin Hornung

--
  --=[ www.armins-webworld.de ]==[ ICQ: #78516635 ]=--

If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop
it?