[ltp] fan always on, t41, xubuntu

Atte André Jensen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:00:00 +0200

Hi

I just got a t41, which is very nice. However the fan is always on. It's
not very loud, but it's louder than in XP.

Now, I looked a lot on thinkwiki.org, esp
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed and
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Patch_for_controlling_fan_speed, but I'm
not at all sure how to approach the problem under ubuntu.

I should say that I was able to turn it off with "echo disable >
/proc/acpi/ibm/fan" and turn it on again with "echo enable >
/proc/acpi/ibm/fan". But I assume this is almost guaranteed to fry the
CPU, right?

I'm also not sure whether the problem is actually with temperature (so
the fan is actually working correctly). How can I investigate this further?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quartet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk