[ltp] fan always on, t41, xubuntu

Atte André Jensen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:56:51 +0200

Laurent Gilson wrote:

> nope. Just make sure the fan is enabled if any sensors get hot
> (/proc/ibm/thermal). Use a failsafe script that enables the fan on exit.
> And NEVER EVER kill that process with kill -9.

Ok, got the tp-fancontrol scripts working. Now I'd like to see it in
work before I leave it alone. Thought aout compiling a kernel, and
watching the temperature go up and the fan kick in.

I looked in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature, and it's pretty
low right now 37C. Is the a reliable source for testing? "cat
/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal" says "37 46 32 47 36 -128 33 -128", what do
these figures correspond to, and which ones should I stare at while
compiling a kernel?

What should the temperature be before the fan kicks in? Supposed the fan
stays off and the temperature keeps rising, at what temperature should I
stop my experiment, IOW what's the maximum recommended temperature of
the CPU?

Also; how should the bios cpu frequency scaling + other power related
stuff be configured?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte