Hdapsd lockup (WAS Re: [ltp] HDAPS support for non-Hitachi drives?)

Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:49:53 -0300

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> On 8/2/06, Armin Hornung <Armin.Hornung@gmx.de> wrote:
> >I also have a A60A version HD from Hitachi, and hdapsd locks up the
> >whole system from time to time, when active. Otherwise, hdaps itself
> >(without Head Parking) works without problems
>
> We've been seeing many such sporadic reports of hdaps_protect head
> parking causing system freeze. But nopclear pattern, so far. Do we
> have any leads about the cause?

I see no leads, but it is very unlikely that it would be related to HDAPS
itself.  Something in the queue freeze patches is probably subtly wrong.

Probably we won't have much improvement until the queue freeze functionality
starts being merged into the kernel upstream.  We should push really hard
for that to happen as soon as possible.

That said, what about suspend2?  Did the lockups happen with kernels with
and without the suspend2 patches?

And what about libata?  Did the lockups happen only with disks under libata
control, or also with disks under the legacy ide driver control?

  Henrique Holschuh