[ltp] Writing to an NTFS disk?

George Katsitadze linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:38:55 +0300

thinkpadr31@lkv.mailshell.com wrote:

>I have ubuntu 6.06 on my Thinkpad R31.   I'd like to hook up an
>external laptop hard drive via a  USB 2.0 port on a PC Card.   The
>drive's formatted in NTFS and already has data, so I can't change the
>filesystem without compromising its contents.
>
>How can I read/write to an NTFS disk under Linux?  What little I've
>read so far leads me to believe there aren't too many candidates that
>are both stable and reliable.   Captive may come close.
>
>Any thing else I can try?
>
>Thanks for reading.

Try ntfs-3g (http://lunapark6.com/?p=1710).  I've had it on
my desktop for about two weeks already; there are two NTFS
partitions mounted using fuse and ntfs-3g.  So far I had no
problems, except that once, when trying to save (copy) a
large number of small files, the partition suddenly went
read-only.

It took a reboot and chkdsk and everything worked fine there
after. No data loss or anything of the sort.

George