[ltp] Writing to an NTFS disk?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:41:26 -0400

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 08:03, after a long battle with technology,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 09:41, Adrian Bastholm wrote:
> > Or You could ty converting the NTFS drive to ext3 with
> > PartitionMagic ...

Wait, what?  How would that work?  Not that I would trust PQMagic to do
anything like this after their terrible record with Linux filesystems,
mind you.

> Is there actually any way of converting an NTFS partition
> to Windows VFAT?

Microsoft says "no".  If anything on the NTFS partition used secondary
file streams, that data would get lost when you converted the partition
to FAT32.  OK, few things use that part of NTFS's capabilities, but you
never know.  The approach of copying everything from the NTFS partition
to somewhere else using SMB, then mkfs'ing the partition, then copying
everything back would probably work, assuming there aren't any
fixed-sector-position files like the bootloader or the swap file on the
partition.  It'd just be annoying.

--
   I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
   To the lions.