[ltp] PCMCIA Interrupt Nastiness

Justin Mazzola Paluska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:35:28 +0800

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 08:31:29PM -0400, Andrew Barr wrote:
> With recent kernels, I cannot use CompactFlash memory cards (in a
> PCMCIA sleeve) without adding disable_clkrun=1 to the module
> parameters for yenta_socket. This seems to have a nasty side effect
> (not sure if it's related): whenever there is I/O to the card, the
> system is very sluggish, including peripherals like the mouse
> pointer--it jumps around rather annoyingly when you try to move it
> (Trackpoint/Touchpad). I'm guessing the PCMCIA controller is sending
> a flood of interrupts that are crowding out other peripherals. Does
> anyone know what the deal is with PCMCIA recently and if there is
> anything I can do to fix it? Kernel is 2.6.17.3.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread almost a month after the post.
However, I'm seeing the same problems on my X60s with two different
brands of CompactFlash cards in a PCMCIA sleeve.  I'm running Debian's
stock 2.6.17-1-686 kernel.  Adding disable_clkrun=1 enables me to read
the card, but as you noted, makes the system painfully slow.

Have you found a better solution in the interim?
	--Justin