[ltp] T40 replacing with a new fan?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:25:01 -0400

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 09:52, after a long battle with technology,
Roman Joost wrote:
> If I try to switch my T40 on (sometimes I need 3-4 retries) the
> fan starts running with a little noise and everything works fine.

If the fan doesn't start immediately, the fan is dying.  It'll continue
to get worse.

> Did someone [buy] a fan and [replace] it? I checked the T40 manual and
> it seems that replacing the fan shouldn't be [too] complicated.

I don't know about the T40, but replacing a fan on an A22p was fairly
easy.  20 minutes worth of screwdriver work according to the manual
(well, I didn't do the difficult and unnecessary for the A22p "remove
keyboard bezel" step) fixed the broken fan.

> Maybe someone had the same problem, and the problem can be ignored?

No.  It'll continue to get worse until the fan seizes up completely, and
when that happens, the machine won't POST.  If you don't have a spare
fan, check http://ibm-spare-parts.com/ , since they have spare parts
for almost every model of Thinkpad.  HTH,

--
   I will rule you all with my iron fist.  YOU!  Obey the fist!
   --Invader Zim