[ltp] T60p - No Device Found for ipw3945 WiFi card on FC5 most recent kernel

Bertrand Servin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:59:58 -0700

Hi,

I had some issues with loading the driver at boot time on a Debian
Etch. The symptoms were similar to yours: the module appeared in lsmod
but I couldn't associate with an access point. I also had a modprobe file
like yours (indeed it is the one provided in the installation instructions of
the driver).  Although for debian these files are located in
/etc/modprobe.d/ directory. Maybe it is not the same for FC5.

I realized that if I did a "modprobe -r ipw9345" followed by a
"modprobe ipw3945", the module was correctly loaded, the daemon
started and I could connect to an access point. have you tried to do
that ?

If this works, it is probably the same problem as I had. I found the
workaround, for Debian, on this web page:
http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/etch/index.html

What it does is add an entry in /etc/rc.d so that the driver is
correctly loaded at boot time. These are instruction for Debian, and I
don't know if they will work on Fedora, but a similar method should be
possible.

You can see what I did to install this driver on this web page I
started writing:
http://bservin.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=DebianThinkpadT60en

Hope this helps,
--