[ltp] battery not charging

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:13:13 +0200

Hello,

> My new (used) T41 won't charge it's battery. I might have messed with
> something, or missed something. How do I get the battery charging?

You did try to remove the AC and plug it back in 1 min latter ?

> atte@ajstrup:~$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/*
> alarm:                   2513 mWh

OK

> present:                 yes

OK

> design capacity:         47520 mWh

OK

> last full capacity:      50270 mWh

NOT OK. The last full is higher then the maximal capacity. Thatīs not
normal.

> What looks funny to me is the combination of "charging state: charged",
> "present rate: 0 mW", "design capacity: 47520 mWh" and "remaining
> capacity: 210 mWh". So the battery is almost empty (indeed it is, I get
> beeps when I disconnect the power supply) but it thinks it's charged and
> therefore is not charging.

Go into the BIOS, unplug the AC and let it run. Ignore the beeps, just
wait for till it runs out.

I think the battery is charged, but the controlcircuit is toast. Maybe a
full unload/load cycle may cure it.

cu