[ltp] battery not charging

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:25:59 +0200

Hello,

>> Go into the BIOS, unplug the AC and let it run. Ignore the beeps, just
>> wait for till it runs out.
>
> I did that. I kept flashing in yellow until it died. Now it looks more
> normal.
>
> The thinkpad is 22 months old (no idea if the battery is older/newer),
> and I suspect the battery hasn't been used much. When I unplug the AC
> now my battery applet starts out saying 6 hours, then quite fast drops
> to 3 hours. Maybe I should simply replace the battery...

Depending on the setup and brightness of the screen 3 hours is OK. And a
rapid dropp in the first 45 seconds is also more-or-less normal. The
circuit controlling the energy flow in/out of the battery is not that fast
and needs some time. Maybe the battery was never ever used and needs to be
calibrated. Just use it for 2-3 days and see what happens.

cu