[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

Whil Hentzen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:08:18 -0500

Hi folks,

I bought a T60 from PC Connection about a month ago. (Been buying from
them since 1982, never been unhappy with anything.) First thing I did,
natch, was blow away Windows and install FC5. Well, I tried to, that is.

After five or six days and perhaps a dozen attempted installs, I was
never able to get a complete installation to work. Several people on
this list suggested that perhaps the hardware was just a bit too new for
an OS that was delivered last winter.

So then I tried installing Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake). Four days of
middling success: I got the initial install running, but the networking
never worked, and the machine kept locking up on me, say, during an
update, or when loading the system utilities.

Today I'm trying to install SuSE 10.1, and the damn box has locked up 3
times today. Haven't even gotten past the initial install process.

I'm starting to think that the box itself isn't up to par. And I'm
getting rather angry.

This is my sixth Thinkpad in the last 12 years, so maybe I am due for a
lemon, but before I start screaming, I thought I'd ask. Although I'm not
sure what to ask. :)

- Given Lenovo's recent announcement, I'd sure like to think that 10.1
will run on a T60 'out of the box'. Any feedback?

- Given that I didn't bother to 'keep' my original system OS,
suggestions on how to get the vendor to see if the box is bad?

Thanks,
Whil