[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 01:27:49 +0100 (BST)

> Whil Hentzen wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I bought a T60 from PC Connection about a month ago. (Been buying from them
>> since 1982, never been unhappy with anything.) First thing I did, natch,
>> was blow away Windows and install FC5. Well, I tried to, that is.

>> - Given that I didn't bother to 'keep' my original system OS, suggestions
>> on how to get the vendor to see if the box is bad?

1)Try running memtest. leave it overnight - will verify your RAM - and do
a decent job of testing CPU too. Memtest does need at least 24 hours
before you can be confident of a pass, although most failures appear much
sooner than that.
Memtest is available on knoppix.

2)Test it with knoppix - will save loads of installing. Maybe the usual
things "noapic noacpi" etc?

3)Most Installers now have a "verify CD" option. Try it.

HTH - especially since I have a T60p on order :-)

Richard