[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 06 Aug 2006 07:59:31 -0400

Richard wrote:

>> Whil Hentzen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I bought a T60 from PC Connection about a month ago. (Been buying
>>> from them since 1982, never been unhappy with anything.) First thing
>>> I did, natch, was blow away Windows and install FC5. Well, I tried
>>> to, that is.
>>

>>> - Given that I didn't bother to 'keep' my original system OS,
>>> suggestions on how to get the vendor to see if the box is bad?
>>>

> 1)Try running memtest. leave it overnight - will verify your RAM - and
> do a decent job of testing CPU too. Memtest does need at least 24
> hours before you can be confident of a pass, although most failures
> appear much sooner than that.
> Memtest is available on knoppix.
>
> 2)Test it with knoppix - will save loads of installing. Maybe the
> usual things "noapic noacpi" etc?
>
> 3)Most Installers now have a "verify CD" option. Try it.
>
> HTH - especially since I have a T60p on order :-)
>
> Richard

One thing to consider a Thinkpad WILL run MS Windows when it WILL NOT
run Linux.

I have a Thinkpad that I set up as a dual boot 3 years ago.
Two weeks ago it started not running Linux.
I have secone HD for Thinkpad with complete system installed on since I
play with Linux side and crash computer frequently do to my playing.
Playing with second HD I discover I could not install any version of
Linus from disk that I had previously installed Linux from.
All the while Windows is working.

Symptoms are boot screen shows strange charcters with boot log not being
readable.
Source of problem appears to be some sort of loose internal connector.
As I have not managed to get cover off with out breaking same and I have
friend who will repair at reasonable rate it will be off to repair shop
for this computer as soon as data can be transfered to different
computer. (I do not have latest data on both HD and data is to big for
disks. Minor issue.)