[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:42:23 +0100

On Sunday 06 August 2006 12:59, SOTL wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad that I set up as a dual boot 3 years ago.

What ThinkPad?

> Two weeks ago it started not running Linux.

Whatr does this mean - "started not running Linux"?
Grub not working?
Kernel panic?

> I have secone HD for Thinkpad with complete system installed on since I
> play with Linux side and crash computer frequently do to my playing.
> Playing with second HD I discover I could not install any version of
> Linus from disk that I had previously installed Linux from.

Perhaps you have the wrong /etc/fstab on your second disk?
Or grub not set up properly?

> All the while Windows is working.
>
> Symptoms are boot screen shows strange charcters with boot log not being
> readable.
> Source of problem appears to be some sort of loose internal connector.
> As I have not managed to get cover off with out breaking same and I have
> friend who will repair at reasonable rate it will be off to repair shop
> for this computer as soon as data can be transfered to different
> computer. (I do not have latest data on both HD and data is to big for
> disks. Minor issue.)

If Windows is working it seems unlikely to me that there is anything loose
inside the computer.

You seem to think that Windows and Linux use different parts of the computer,
like the left and right sides of the brain.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366