[ltp] Status of fglrx (w/ DRI) with Xorg 7.0 on a T41

Daniel Déchelotte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:40:09 +0200

Hi,

I just would like to know whether the proprietary fglrx driver is known
to work with Xorg 7.0 for my card. I would assume so, but I
systematically fail with:

 * vanilla 2.6.17.x kernel or 2.6.16 very close to the Debian one
 * Xorg 7.0.22 from debian Etch
 * fglrx-driver and fglrx-kernel-* packages from Debian unstable, with
   the kernel module compiled with gcc-3.3 (just like the rest of my
   kernel)
 * Xinerama disabled. The DRI module loads correctly in the kernel.
   But the system systematically freezes on starting X.

The video card is a Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000]. Oh, and the fglrx
driver works when the kernel module is not inserted (but then no HW
acceleration, of course).

If I hear that it really should work, I will try again! (and I will
gladly take note of any additional advice :-] )

Cheers,
--
Daniel Déchelotte
                  http://yo.dan.free.fr/