[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:46:13 -0400

James Knott wrote:

>SOTL wrote:
>

>>Whil Hentzen wrote:
>>

>>>Hi folks,
>>>
>>>I bought a T60 from PC Connection about a month ago. (Been buying from
>>>them since 1982, never been unhappy with anything.) First thing I did,
>>>natch, was blow away Windows and install FC5. Well, I tried to, that is.
>>>

>>Difficult to install on a laptop.
>>

>>>After five or six days and perhaps a dozen attempted installs, I was
>>>never able to get a complete installation to work. Several people on
>>>this list suggested that perhaps the hardware was just a bit too new
>>>for an OS that was delivered last winter.
>>>
>>>So then I tried installing Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake). Four days of
>>>middling success: I got the initial install running, but the
>>>networking never worked, and the machine kept locking up on me, say,
>>>during an update, or when loading the system utilities.
>>>

>>If you got the machine working then box is not trash.
>>

>>>Today I'm trying to install SuSE 10.1, and the damn box has locked up
>>>3 times today. Haven't even gotten past the initial install process.
>>>

>>Try something else. SuSE 10.1 is noturious for not installing.
>>

>???
>
>SUSE installs fine on ThinkPads.  In fact, Lenovo is installing SUSE
>Linux on the T60.

All Thinkpads do not have the same hardware.

Many claim that id the kernel run and you got a command line then the
system works.

Some believe that if you get the GUI to work then the installation is
correct.

Some believe that you must have network capabilities by cable. Some by
wireless.

Damn few demand that the modem work.

And even less demand that all keys be supports.

As far as Lenovo they have the choice of hardware so can include only
hardware that they can make work. Not so the current owners of
Thinkpads; they are stuck with the hardware they purchased which may not
be supported.

Also Lenovo is able to modify the software to operate fully with the
hardware Lenovo installs as Lenovo purchases is big enough lot that
Lenovo can demand that the hardware manufactures provide Lenovo a
complete and full set of specifications for the hardware Lenovo
includes; not so current owners.

So having Lenovo factory SuSE 10.1 on Thinkpads does not mean that SuSE
10.1 will run on a Thinkpad if you install it besides the SuSE that
Lenovo is planning on installing is the Enterprise Edition not OpenSuSE
or SuSE 10.1 Home Edition.