[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:51:11 -0400

James Knott wrote:

>SOTL wrote:
>

>>WSR wrote:
>>

>>>I thought the same thing when I tried to install SuSE 10.1 on my
>>>t60..  I later realized that the dvd drive I was using to burn all the
>>>iso's was burning them with some corruption apparently.
>>>

>>If you used OpenSuSE 10.1 and burned the disk your self in a good burner
>>it may work but you will not have win modem support so to get dial up
>>modem you need to purchase a pci (full) modem.
>>

>How do you know that?  The Winmodem in my R31 works fine.

There is more than one type of win modems some are supported some not.

>>If you attemp to use comerical SuSE 10.1 disks - good luck as they
>>probabely will not work. Something about the disks.
>>

>That's the first I've heard that one.  Sources?

That is an old problem with Thinkpads some CD / DVD apparently have
slightly different specks. Some times they work fine other times not.

Amazing isn't how the assumption is it it works in my hardware it works
in everybody's hardware (assuming of course the particular set of
hardware is not broken) which of course is simply not true.