[ltp] T60p vibrating hard drive

shorty linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:22:45 +1000

Hi All,
    Recently bought a T60p. After having an R40 for three years, I was
very happy with it, and although expensive, thought the t60p would be a
worthwhile purchase. I am a quite disappointed with the build of this
laptop though. (not the build in general, just this particular one)
Firstly, the battery sticking out the back, while annoying, is ok but
there is a bit of slop in it. It can move around 1-1.5mm up and down,
and also forward/back. Secondly, the strip of plastic on the right, and
next to the keyboard can move about 1mm up and down also. The left side
however is a snug fit. Thirdly, the thing vibrates :( I had noticed this
earlier, but put it down to maybe a more powerfull fan for the cpu/gpu.
Today however, I decided to investigate further. Much to my dismay, when
i set hdparm to standby the disk after 5 seconds, the vibration stopped!
I will be ringing support tomorrow, and sending the laptop back for
repairs.  I hope this isn't indicative of lenovo  build quality, and
that I just got a bit of a dud, but I would have liked to think that
there quality control on such an expensive machine would have been
better. I *want* to love this laptop, but I am disappointed to say the
least. Question is, how have other T60 buyers out there found the build
quality on their laptops? Look forward t hearing others opinions.

Regards

Glenn