[ltp] T60p vibrating hard drive

shorty linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:32:08 +1000

shorty wrote:
 > Hi All,
 >    Recently bought a T60p. After having an R40 for three years, I was
 > very happy with it, and although expensive, thought the t60p would be
 > a worthwhile purchase. I am a quite disappointed with the build of
 > this laptop though. (not the build in general, just this particular
 > one) Firstly, the battery sticking out the back, while annoying, is ok
 > but there is a bit of slop in it. It can move around 1-1.5mm up and
 > down, and also forward/back. Secondly, the strip of plastic on the
 > right, and next to the keyboard can move about 1mm up and down also.
 > The left side however is a snug fit. Thirdly, the thing vibrates :( I
 > had noticed this earlier, but put it down to maybe a more powerfull
 > fan for the cpu/gpu. Today however, I decided to investigate further.
 > Much to my dismay, when i set hdparm to standby the disk after 5
 > seconds, the vibration stopped! I will be ringing support tomorrow,
 > and sending the laptop back for repairs.  I hope this isn't indicative
 > of lenovo  build quality, and that I just got a bit of a dud, but I
 > would have liked to think that there quality control on such an
 > expensive machine would have been better. I *want* to love this
 > laptop, but I am disappointed to say the least. Question is, how have
 > other T60 buyers out there found the build quality on their laptops?
 > Look forward t hearing others opinions.
 >
 > Regards
 >
 > Glenn

First I apologize for my English :-)

I have same issues with my T60 (2004-F4G) except vibration. Yes, HDD is
a little noisy, but does not vibrate. I am disapointed. It is my first
TP and theselittle details in construction are annoying for that price :-(.
And what about running on battery? Do you hear that bzzzzz noise from
speakers direction?  :-((

Karel Podvolecky

Nope, no noise from speakers when on battery, though my graphics card
does seem to squeel, though I believe thats a problem of the driver (i
recall reading it somewhere) I rang ibm support this morning, they
suggested reseating the hard drive, which I have done. I can still feel
the thing when its spinning. Its very subtle, but definitely there. I
can even feel it with my hand on the back of the lcd. They also
suggested removing the keyboard bezel and making sure it was seated
properly. After removing it and taking a look, the only thing that holds
it down in this corner, is the palm rest. There are no clips to hold it
in place, as its directly above the hard drive slot. I cant see how this
can be fixed except for maybe a bit thicker piece of plastic, and in
this case, I am surprised many people aren't complaining about it.
(maybe they have several dies, and I just got unlucky with two pieces
being matched from slightly off dies?) I solved the problem by placing 3
very small strips of paper where the two mate. Four pieces and it was
rock solid, three pieces and there is the tiniest movement, so I left it
at that. That gives you a bit of an idea how much slop is there, a piece
of paper folded twice. Anyway, the bezel sits quite nicely now, I am
just not sure what to do about the hard drive. Seeing as its a three
year warranty, I would imagine an unbalanced hard drive would thrash
itself to death before then. I will see how annoyed I get with it in the
next few days.

Regards

Glenn