[ltp] T60 power management (fglrx, aticonfig --set-powerstate )

Sean Kelley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:09:48 -0500

Hi,

On 8/8/06, Nils Kanning <nils@kanning.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> i'm just configuring my new T60 and i'm not quite happy with the power
> consumption in battery mode.
>
> Untill now i'm using cpufeq with the powersave governor and
> laptop-mode.
> I get about 2:30h battery life which is not very much compared to about
> 4h in windows.
>
> I also tried "aticonfig --set-powerstate=1" (T60 with x1300). this
> decreases the graphics performance but does not reduce the power
> consumption in my case (latest fglrx version in debian unstable).
>
> Maybe someone knows some trick how to get ati's powersaving working or
> has other ideas how to get more battery life?
>
> Furthermore it would be nice if other T60 users can post the output of:
> cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep present
> when running on battery.

That will also depend on whether you have Wifi enabled and your
backlight level.  With Wifi on and the backlight at the lowest level
on battery I get:

present:  yes
present rate:  15692mW
present voltage: 12327mw

At mid-backlight the rate jumps to 17547mW or so

Sean