[ltp] T23: ubuntu kernel, modem, ...

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:43:51 -0500

* Bernard Tremblay <imaginasys@fastmail.fm> [2006 Aug 11 18:11 -0500]:

> Nate,
>
> I found on Thinkwiki that, even if you have a Lucent modem, you should
> use a SLMODEM driver (smart link modem driver http://www.smlink.com/ ).
> You have a ltmodem that does the wireless and the modem at the same time
> thus the different driver...
>
> Check info on
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/IBM_High_Rate_Wireless_LAN_Mini-PCI_Adapter_with_Modem

Tahnks for the tip, Bernard, but mine does not contain that hardware.
lspci reports that it is a Lucent/Agere modem just like my 390e had.
For wireless I have a Linksys WPC55AG cardbus card that MadWIFI
supports very well.

A year ago I temporarily had a T42 with a Contextant modem.  After I
had bought a license for Linuxant, someone pointed me toward the
slmodem, but it did not work.  I continued to use the Linuxant without
issue until I had to turn it back in.  :(  It had a builtin Atheros
chipset that MadWIFI supported very well.  All around nice machine, I
should get one of my own one day, but my T23 works very well.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"