[ltp] ubuntu on x24: kernel freezes on web browsing

Torsten Zech linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:29:16 +0200

Hello,

I hope my question is not too stupid:
I'm running ubuntu 6.06 on my old x24 and have the following problem:
When browsing the web, the machine often (can be every 10-15 min) stops
completely, forcing me to shut it off and reboot. This happens when
using firefox, but also synaptic, so it seems to be related somehow to
networking activity. So far I have the problem when using the network
card, but I have not yet tested whether it also occurs with wireless.
I'm using the auto-detected e100 driver, which should be right, as I was
using it also in the last years with debian sarge.
I just did a fresh ubuntu 6.06.1 install this morning, but the problem
persists. Otherwise, the machine is very stable.
I'm running another x60 laptop with ubuntu, and there I never had this
problem.

Any hints, maybe also for a better diagnosis?

Many thanks,

Torsten