[ltp] T41 fan broken?

Nate linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:00:01 -0400

I'm unsure whether my fan has been working properly for a while now
because it just never seems to be on very fast. I'm running FC5, with
ibm_acpi.

Today my fan mysteriously ramped up to what sounded like high speed for
the first time in 6+ months. About 6 months ago I sent it to IBM with
bad video memory and they replaced the main board (they said). At the
time the fan sounded rattly and but still pushed a lot of air when it
spooled up. Today the volume of air was not great however even though it
was loud. I was not doing anything unusual at the time. I then read
about ibm_acpi and wanted to see if I could get the fan to ramp up
again. I started playing multiple videos and managed to get the temp up
to around 85/86 degrees C, but the fan never changed speeds noticeably.

Below shows how quickly the cpu can cool down after I take the load off.

[root@blackbox ~]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal; date
temperatures:   85 50 34 65 36 -128 31 -128
Sun Aug 13 21:59:56 EDT 2006
[root@blackbox ~]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal; date
temperatures:   59 50 34 61 36 -128 31 -128
Sun Aug 13 22:00:43 EDT 2006

To gauge the effectiveness of the fan, I let the cpu get up to 89 C by
turning off the fan and loading the cpu. I was afraid to let it go any
higher so I turned the fan to max (which is hardly perceptible, I'd
expect some significant noise) and the cpu temp went down to 86 and
stays constant for minutes. Is there a maximum cpu temp before hardware
protections shut the machine down or similar protection?

I still have 6 months of warranty left on the machine. I think I'll end
up sending it in for a new fan, but I need the machine right now, so
it'll have to wait.

Can anyone recognize these symptoms and can confirm this is unusual
behavior and a hardware problem?

-Nathan