[ltp] T41 fan broken?

Pintér Balázs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:30:00 +0200

Nate wrote:
> I'm unsure whether my fan has been working properly for a while now
> because it just never seems to be on very fast. I'm running FC5, with
> ibm_acpi.
>
> Today my fan mysteriously ramped up to what sounded like high speed
> for the first time in 6+ months. About 6 months ago I sent it to IBM
> with bad video memory and they replaced the main board (they said). At
> the time the fan sounded rattly and but still pushed a lot of air when
> it spooled up. Today the volume of air was not great however even
> though it was loud. I was not doing anything unusual at the time. I
> then read about ibm_acpi and wanted to see if I could get the fan to
> ramp up again. I started playing multiple videos and managed to get
> the temp up to around 85/86 degrees C, but the fan never changed
> speeds noticeably.
>
> Below shows how quickly the cpu can cool down after I take the load off.
>
> [root@blackbox ~]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal; date
> temperatures:   85 50 34 65 36 -128 31 -128
> Sun Aug 13 21:59:56 EDT 2006
> [root@blackbox ~]# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal; date
> temperatures:   59 50 34 61 36 -128 31 -128
> Sun Aug 13 22:00:43 EDT 2006
>
> To gauge the effectiveness of the fan, I let the cpu get up to 89 C by
> turning off the fan and loading the cpu. I was afraid to let it go any
> higher so I turned the fan to max (which is hardly perceptible, I'd
> expect some significant noise) and the cpu temp went down to 86 and
> stays constant for minutes. Is there a maximum cpu temp before
> hardware protections shut the machine down or similar protection?
>
> I still have 6 months of warranty left on the machine. I think I'll
> end up sending it in for a new fan, but I need the machine right now,
> so it'll have to wait.
>
> Can anyone recognize these symptoms and can confirm this is unusual
> behavior and a hardware problem?
>
> -Nathan
I had similar problem with my T40, the fan was wrong, because i had no
warranty i ordered a new fan and replaced it in my machine. Since then
everything is fine.
While i was waiting for the new fan I used cpufreq to lower the CPU
speed to minimum, and turned off the fan, so my machine was silent and
CPU temperature was 50 degrees.

Balazs Pinter