[ltp] Fedora Core 5 & T43: Suspend & resume?

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:42:29 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Clark Williams wrote:

>>> event=button/lid
>>> action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
>>
>> Interesting.  Now, why on earth isn't that part of the default
>> configuration?
>>
>> *sigh*
>
> Actually, I think it's because there is no clear consensus on what
> should happen when the lid is closed. I prefer suspend to RAM but
> others like to keep going due to multi-head configurations and still
> others like suspend to disk. So...

Quite agree there's no consensus - I'm a Fedora user from the Year
Dot, and I certainly don't agree that suspend on lid closure would
be everyone's ideal behaviour and therefore a good default.  In my
case, when my motherboard is changed, the first thing I do is grind
my teeth on suspension when I close the lid and go back to the BIOS
to change it!  Mostly when I close the lid of my Thinkpad, it's to
conveniently stack it away to get to something or be tidy - and in
most cases I want my various connections (IRC, to my mail server,
downloads etc.) to carry on unless I explicitly ask for suspension.

It seems to me that the Fedora Project is making the right choice
here - don't force unexpected events to occur, just allow people to
set them if they want.