[ltp] T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:36:52 -0400

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:12:53PM -0700, Osho GG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure many of you have seen the news stories that Levono will be
> shipping T60p with SuSE SLED 10. More details are at
>
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/t-series/workstation.html?re=home_Innov_us
>
> Levono also has ported the ThinkVantage set of tools to Linux also for
> this release. These are at
>
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-65367
>
> So how much of this is specific to T60p? Maybe we can use some of
> these on older Thinkpads as well (I have T42p).

Whao, it does seem that Lenovo has put action in line with their words.
Although it seems to me that they're actually sending out machines with
DOS instead of preloading with linux(it is "linux compatible model"
instead of "linux preinstalled" model, see [1]), but the rather
extensive ported software and documentation they put together is quite
impressive. I suspect thinkadvantage suite is simply a packaged version
of a set of disparage tools already available, but putting them together
into an integrated suite, although against unix philosophy, surely lower
the entry barrier and ease thinkpad/linux combo's competition with Mac
as the unix platform of choice.

In our physics department, at least for theorists, there seems to be a
general trend of switching to Mac for their laptop, for not wanting to
fiddle with their linux configuration and get things to work.(Of course
workstation is an entirely different matter: since they're maintained
and supported by system administrators, people are very happy using
linux on them.) Now I can show them something that mostly just work and
easy to manage under linux. Even better we have a deal with Lenovo to
get thinkpad with 40% of discount! That surely tip the scale:)

Jiang

[1]http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-65052
However this page is pretty foolproof walk through of SUSE installation.
The KDE bias is notable:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-65351