[ltp] Re: T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:24:48 -0400

"Shem Multinymous" <multinymous@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/16/06, Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it appears to output status information similar to tp_smapi (stats like
>> first use date, etc. appear there)
>
> If it gets *that* informatiom, and...
>
>> The use of ioport_resource would probably indicate that they are using
>> an I/O port,
>
> ... uses port IO to obtain it, then it may be conflicting with the
> hdaps driver in mainline kernel. If so, and if they can be loaded
> simultaneously, then race conditions while talking to the hardware can
> end up hanging your embedded controller (we've seen this happen in
> other contexts), thereby stopping thermal control and and possibly
> damaging your laptop or your person. This is potentially dangerous and
> must be checked.
>
> Can someone with a T60p load this module and see what ports it
> registers in /proc/ioports? And whether it's willing to be loaded
> along with hdaps?

I will be very happy to perform any T60p experiments this group asks
for, at least for the next week or so, as long as you can give me
reasonably detailed instructions and help me do it reasonably safely
(i.e. let's not stop thermal control for too long ;->).  I am still
trying to configure mine for maximum usability/battery life/etc. and
it looks like what I'd learn could be well worth the trouble.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting