[ltp] Re: T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:29:52 -0400

"Shem Multinymous" <multinymous@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/16/06, David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>> I will be very happy to perform any T60p experiments this group asks
>> for, at least for the next week or so, as long as you can give me
>> reasonably detailed instructions and help me do it reasonably safely
>> (i.e. let's not stop thermal control for too long ;->).
>
> If the EC hangs, you'll notice it -- keyboard and mouse will stop
> working. Just reboot your machine if that happens.
>
> To see if there's a risk of this happening we need two things:
> 1. How does the content of /proc/ioports change by loading the binary
> modules (save a copy and do a "diff")?
> 2. Can you load the new modules and the hdaps module ("modprobe
> hdaps") simultaneously? What kernel messages ("dmesg") are generated
> when you try to do so?

What I mean by "reasonably detailed instructions" is that you'll have
to tell me where to find the new modules, where to put them, and how
to load them.  I'm still a novice when it comes to all things kernel,
but happy to learn.

>> I am still trying to configure mine for maximum usability/battery
>> life/etc. and it looks like what I'd learn could be well worth the
>> trouble.
>
> This will be valuable for a lot of people. Maybe you can post your
> conclusions directly to ThinkWiki, so other users can add and update
> it?

Sure.  Y'all are going to have to help me with drawing conclusions,
though.  Interpreting the results meaningfully is probably going to
take the same kind of experience I lack.

This is really important to me because with NHC installed and wireless
on under Windows XP, the machine runs cool and idles with no fan.  I
want this to be a Linux machine primarily, but if we can't achieve the
same, I'm afraid I'll be stuck in MS-land.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting